Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sfeMovie project [v1.0 RC1 available]  (Read 136797 times)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
Re: sfeMovie project [v1.0 RC1 available]
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »
Hello aNewHobby,

If I understood correctly, you want to display a looping animation that has an alpha channel, but no audio? As for exact pixel coordinates, I think any player is ok, this shouldn't be a problem.

As far as sfeMovie is concerned, there are several supported formats that can handle alpha channel (including qtrle, gif and maybe svq3 but I can't find back the information for this latest format) but looping isn't available for now. Plus you made me notice bug that will prevent you from playing short animations.

Thus, sfeMovie is currently not ready for what you want to do.

But for what you want, I think you can find simpler solutions :
- adapt a GIF player
- make or use an existing animation player : basically, they load several image files and display them sequentially, or load one sprite sheet and display a different subrect of the image for each frame. You can find sample codes or even projects about this available on the SFML forum.

Ceylo
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

aNewHobby

• View Profile
    • Live 4 Ever Or Die Trying
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »
If I understood correctly, you want to display a looping animation that has an alpha channel, but no audio? As for exact pixel coordinates, I think any player is ok, this shouldn't be a problem.

well, alpha is not strictly needed as I said, but yes... video .. . or at least a sequence of sprites that play like a video with no sound is what I am looking for.

But for what you want, I think you can find simpler solutions :
- adapt a GIF player
- make or use an existing animation player : basically, they load several image files and display them sequentially, or load one sprite sheet and display a different subrect of the image for each frame. You can find sample codes or even projects about this available on the SFML forum.

thank you I will look into these .. much appreciated.. I'll find a way to use your thing though.. maybe a logo tumble at the start on application load or something :)
Twitter: @Jyinkies
My Own Little Spot on the Net: - Live4everOrDieTrying.info (Blog)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »
thank you I will look into these .. much appreciated.. I'll find a way to use your thing though.. maybe a logo tumble at the start on application load or something :)

Glad I could help you, but please don't consider you *have* to use sfeMovie just to use it :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:23:38 pm by Ceylo »

slotdev

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »
Ceylo

Can I static link sfeMovie....? I seem to remember a long time ago it was not possible...

Thanks
SFML 2.1

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »
Hello slotdev!

I still haven't allowed static linking against sfeMovie because it's under LGPL, so that you don't have to care about all of the dependencies, and because static linking with FFmpeg and Visual Studio does not work. Why do you need to statically link against sfeMovie ? for which IDE on which OS ?

Ceylo

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2012, 08:02:44 pm »
As far as sfeMovie is concerned, there are several supported formats that can handle alpha channel (including qtrle, gif and maybe svq3 but I can't find back the information for this latest format) but looping isn't available for now. Plus you made me notice bug that will prevent you from playing short animations.
A little note about the GIF format: I found out FFmpeg cannot load animated GIF, it'll just load the first image.

slotdev

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
Hello slotdev!

I still haven't allowed static linking against sfeMovie because it's under LGPL, so that you don't have to care about all of the dependencies, and because static linking with FFmpeg and Visual Studio does not work. Why do you need to statically link against sfeMovie ? for which IDE on which OS ?

Ceylo

I have to static link all our code because we cannot change/update MSVC runtime libraries. We have fixed hardware platforms which are out of our control.
SFML 2.1

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2012, 09:08:51 pm »
Hmmm.. FFmpeg libraries cannot be statically linked into your program with Visual Studio.

But FFmpeg is a C library always built with MinGW, where Visual Studio is used to produce the .lib files only. Thus I don't think the FFmpeg dlls depend on any MSVC runtime version. Therefore, what could be done is produce a static version of sfeMovie and provide FFmpeg as dlls. Would that fit your needs?

aNewHobby

• View Profile
    • Live 4 Ever Or Die Trying
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »

Did some tests with Thor2 and the animation class it has.. and this seams to work fine for my needs. Though there could be some frame rate problems.. I'll put some work into it.. thanks for the tips.

I was wondering, am I correct in thinking your player thing only works in windows and mac and not in linux?
Twitter: @Jyinkies
My Own Little Spot on the Net: - Live4everOrDieTrying.info (Blog)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2012, 06:41:09 pm »
I was wondering, am I correct in thinking your player thing only works in windows and mac and not in linux?

As far as Linux is concerned, sfeMovie works on my Debian VM and works for a Gentoo user too. But danman reported crashes so for now I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. Thus it should be ready for Linux soon but there are some fixes required first.

You could give it a try and tell me whether it works fine for you though :) . (with the latest sources from the git repository)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2012, 04:46:46 pm »
Hello everyone!

As you may know, current sfeMovie's status on Linux is undefined. The main reason is that some Linux users told me it's working fine, whereas others told me it's not. Thus I would like to know, once for all, what's wrong with sfeMovie on Linux.

That's why I'm now inviting Linux users to test the following sfeMovie package (Intel) : sfeMovie-linux-32b-1.0-rc1.tar.gz (5.1 MB). It uses SFML 2.0 RC.

As for the source code of the testing program, you can use the provided sample code : main.cpp.

You should also know that, for now, I don't know much about distributing packages for Linux, so if anything is lacking or there are more interesting ways to provide packages than the way I did, don't hesitate to tell it :) . The binary files I gave include the FLAC, Vorbis, Theora and VP8 decoders (and no other one !). Thus, I'm especially expecting users to test OGG/OGV/WebM movies.

I'm also asking to the testers, to tell me whether it works AND what is your OS, processor and graphics card. That way I can check whether it works for a particular family of hardware.

Ceylo

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
No Linux user interested in testing the library ?

shadowguns

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »
Hello Ceylo ...
I'm Having a problem in running sfe-movie :(
i made everything .. every step ..
and it successfully running in Release Mode
but .. while running in Debug Mode .. it displays this error !

Unhandled exception at 0x7548b9bc in Project.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::bad_alloc at memory location 0x0039ef84..

when i press Continue .. this appears :
Project.exe has triggered a breakpoint

when i press Continue again .. this appears :
Unhandled exception at 0x6b1f20c4 in Project.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x694bc7ec.

any help on this problem .. ?

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »
Hello shadowguns,

Could you tell me a bit more about what you did? Which version of sfeMovie are you using? Is it a prebuilt version or did you build it yourself?

Does the issue happen with one specific video file or any video? Could you write a minimal sample code that reproduces the issue?

I don't know much about how debug/release binaries are handled by Visual Studio but it might also be the reason of the crash. If this is the true reason, you'll have to stay with release mode for now as I provided no way to build debug binaries.

Ceylo
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:14:31 pm by Ceylo »

shadowguns

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
Hello Ceylo ..
i've downloaded the compiled version .. Windows (Visual C++ 2010)
i'm using SFML 2.0
on Windows 7
and this is my code ...

int main()
{
    sf::RenderWindow window(sf::VideoMode(640, 480), "sfeMovie Player");
    sfe::Movie movie;

// Open movie file for reading
    if (!movie.openFromFile("video.ogg"))
        return 1;

// Scale the movie drawable to fit the window and start the playback
    movie.resizeToFrame(0, 0, 640, 480);
    movie.play();

while (window.isOpen())
    {
        sf::Event ev;
        while (window.pollEvent(ev))
        {
            if (ev.type == sf::Event::Closed)
                window.close();
        }

window.clear();
        // Render the movie, the images and sound are updated in the background
        window.draw(movie);
        window.display();
    }

return 0;
}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when running in debug mode .. and start without debugging (Ctrl + F5)
it says the following error :
Debug Error !

R6010
- abort() has been called
(Press retry to debug the application)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:28:27 pm by Laurent »

anything