Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A new logo for SFML  (Read 309419 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: A new logo for SFML
« Reply #315 on: April 09, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »
What about giving the color codes of the new website's color scheme? Or even a screenshot.
The problem is that the design of the new website is not finalized (I can release it but I'll probably work more on it after the release). So... yes, I should stop talking about the new website ;D

But I can show you, yes. I'll post a screenshot this evening.

Hm, I still don't see a statement about the "ubuntu-style" symbols themselves, maybe you forgot to send the edit?
I edited the wrong part of my post... :-[
Sorry, it's fixed now.

Concerning fonts, I'll search for others that meet your requirements. If you have some time (which you probably don't), you could also visit http://www.1001fonts.com and enter "SFML" in the text field, so that you get an idea how the text will look like.
Yep.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:54:30 pm by Laurent »
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: April 09, 2013, 02:00:14 pm »
my second try
No offense, but I don't like your logos ;D

In this thread there are a lot of logos made in 5 minutes, with no work on the font, the concept, the colors, etc. This is exactly what I don't want, since that's what the current logo is.

It's time to stop with this kind of contributions, now we need to focus on more professional things. Either by improving the current good ideas, and working on the colors / font, or provide new ideas but with a true work behind, which means a solid concept or design. Or at least a good idea.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: April 09, 2013, 03:05:47 pm »
So far the experiments of Nexus are the ones I like most, however I'd also like to see the same with a brighter/more aggressive green.

Nexus, any chance that you publish the SVG/PSD/Gimp whatever source file so others can play around with it, too?

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
Wow, I went to bed and woke up to an awesome discussion going on! I wish I would have left these points:
  • The rounded symbol is supposed to be used with more curvy fonts, the hard-angled symbol is supposed to be used with blocky fonts (you guys seem to be doing just fine with this one)
  • Try to choose fonts whose thickness complement or match the symbol's thickness (it can always be made thicker/skinner if needed, though!)
  • I would suggest playing around with a symbol until you have something you want to try matching with a font, and then browsing a font website (with "SFML") and put the symbol in a little window that you can leave by the side of your browser (so as you scroll, the font shows up by the symbol) (I at least found this a decent way of quickly visualizing what fonts looked best by the symbol)

For those who are interested in playing around with things further, you can download the SVG here (I work in Inkscape).

Laurent, did you have a version of the symbol you preferred (I mean, the one with the flat top or the one with the angled top (or in other words, which rotation of the symbol))? It would help cull the permutations I'm trying out...

I'll try and make time to post some attempts today, but I make no promises (school...).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: April 09, 2013, 03:51:09 pm »
Laurent, did you have a version of the symbol you preferred (I mean, the one with the flat top or the one with the angled top (or in other words, which rotation of the symbol))? It would help cull the permutations I'm trying out...
The same as Nexus (the one with the flat bottom), for the same reasons ;)

jabza

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 09, 2013, 05:09:56 pm »
So I had a shot with 'power on' idea, but with simple colours with the free font: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/titan-one

I think it has sort of a 'HTML 5 Logo' feel, thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:18:34 pm by jabza »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #321 on: April 09, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »
These are larger versions, with a brighter green.

Symbol variant 1:

Symbol variant 2:

Symbol variant 3:

PSD file: Very simple, just two layers with different gradients, and the foreground layer is cut off with a layer mask.
https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/174
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »
Cool stuff people. I've played around with the thickness and smoothness. SVG download link. Sorry for the massive image! If it bugs anyone I can just link to it instead of embed it.

I haven't played around too much with the size of the gap at the top. The thicker ones should obviously have a larger gap. Anyway, I'm going to focus on colors and fonts now!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:43:38 pm by Cornstalks »

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:07 pm »
Nexus, I'm really liking variant #3! I'm not sure how much I like the drop shadow, though. I'll try and think of some ideas during my class.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #324 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »
This is primarily a font test.

1 Thin:

2 Regular:

3 Bold:

Various other fonts:
4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »
I really like the idea of the logo being styled like this where the image is part of the logo

As opposed to something like this where the image is kind of off to the side.

DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:43 pm »

I think it has sort of a 'HTML 5 Logo' feel, thoughts?
I think it looks pretty good (I'm not sure why the first one has a circle around the S though). My only aversion to logos behind the name is that they can be pretty huge (if you want the text to be large, the logo itself ends up massive (unless, of course, you have a horizontal logo)). But I do generally like it.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »
I've played around with the thickness and smoothness
My preference: middle thickness and smoothness (like, 7th row and 12th column).

This is primarily a font test
Anything more "rounded"? ;)

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2013, 06:48:00 am »
Alright, these all use 7th row, 12th column, and are some various rounded fonts. I didn't have as much time as I'd have liked to play around with things today, unfortunately. Also, I might be able to custom make/modify a font, if there's one you find that you like but want a little bit different. In addition to custom modifying the glyphs, the font thickness/kerning can be modified too. Customizing fonts might take a bit of my time though so I can't do it for every font.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Also, here are some various version of 7th row, 12th column (the gap size is different in each):
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:55:15 am by Cornstalks »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2013, 08:10:53 am »
Nice :)

The fonts all look good, I'd like to have feedback from others.

I think you can also put the power-on icon on the left, make it bigger and colorize it as we discussed earlier. We'll also need to find color(s) for "SFML".

anything