Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A book on SFML -- looking for author(s)!  (Read 45927 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: A book on SFML -- looking for author(s)!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 06:29:34 pm »
A book about SFML is really a good idea. It's a pity you don't have the time to write it, Laurent, since nobody knows SFML as well as you do. I find it always interesting to read texts about libraries of the developers themselves, it expresses very well the thoughts they had during the design process. And it ensures the library is used the way the author intended ;)

For example, I found Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu very interesting, because it explains many concepts with a direct reference to the Loki library.

BUT as much as I like to write down and pass on knowledge, I somehow don't feel like that I'm best suited for this task. Since my native language is not English, I make quite a lot of mistakes and to me the whole phrasing seems often to be repetitive and artificial. Furthermore my knowledge on SFML doesn't go into all modules, e.g. I've nearly no idea how to work with the networking part and have never really experimented with the audio module. And then there are the usual factor like time, etc...
I'd gladly team up with someone or contribute in other ways to such a book, but don't see me as the author of the very first official SFML book. ;)
Exactly those things came to my mind, too :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:40 pm »
Wow, this is truly amazing. I don't have the experience nor the knowledge in many parts of SFML in general, but I would certainly find a way to help out with it if I did. SFML is truly growing to a greater scope and this is a proof of it.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »
Wow, what a great opportunity for SFML!  ;D Watch out SDL

Now, after reading through this I think I should sum it up.
A publisher wants a book written on SFML by Laurent, but Laurent does not have the time or will to write the book. So Laurent offered the position of author to whoever wants to take it up, but no one feels as if they have the skills or time themselves to write the book.

...Therefore Laurent suggested that it could be a community effort, which is after reading this thread, that is currently the best idea...

So what is needed is someone to head the project. The project manager can come up with what sections the book will have and will work with Laurent on what actually goes in the book. Then other people can write up text and code for each section and everyone else can proof check each others work (this will take care of the poor English skills). Then maybe SFML can have it's own book.

Now personally I can maybe do proof reading (I am a native English speaker), but I do not want to lead this because my programming skills are with .NET (not C++) and because my time is currently filled with other work.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:33:44 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »
A publisher wants a book written on SFML by Laurent, but Laurent does not have the time or will to write the book. So Laurent offered the position of author to whoever wants to take it up
No. They started by me because I'm the main developer of SFML, so I obviously know it more than anyone else, but now they'll look for someone else. I posted here to help them (and me -- I'd really like to find someone to write this book :D).

So what is needed is someone to head the project. The project manager can come up with what sections the book will have and will work with Laurent on what actually goes in the book. Then other people can write up text and code for each section and everyone else can proof check each others work (this will take care of the poor English skills). Then maybe SFML can have it's own book.
What would the project manager do? From what you say, I think the publisher and future writer(s) would be enough to do this job ;)

Now personally I can maybe do proof reading (I am a native English speaker)
I think they have their own readers for that.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »
Sounds excellent, that way we can contribute with bits and pieces and with some good editing this can come out without needing one or two people to get in the great undertaking of making the whole book on their own.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »
No. They started by me because I'm the main developer of SFML, so I obviously know it more than anyone else, but now they'll look for someone else. I posted here to help them (and me -- I'd really like to find someone to write this book :D).
Well I did not intend for you to take it that way, I was not trying to say that they wanted just you to write the book. Just that they asked you first.

What would the project manager do? From what you say, I think the publisher and future writer(s) would be enough to do this job ;)
I should have wrote project manager in quotes like "project manager". I simply meant that someone needs to be in charge if we go with the multiple authors approach. Because if someone does not take a leadership position, there will be parts of a book flying all over the place. "Without leadership there is chaos." Someone doesn't need to be formally assigned "project manager", but there still needs someone to give leadership. Just like your the "project manager" for SFML, you decide what belongs in SFML and what stays in private repositories. The "project manager" for the book would have the final decision(along with you Laurent, or it could be you) and would decide on book sections, let everyone know what needs to be wrote, review submissions, and you should get the idea...

A suggestion to help with this (if we take the route of multiple authors) would possibly a new forum section. That way all contributions and directions for the plan of the book could be organized there.

I think they have their own readers for that.
Once again, I meant as with the community approach to writing the book, as it comes together everyone will be able to check each others' work for obvious spelling mistakes and/or grammar mistakes before it sent to a publisher (hopefully that will not take too long).

Sounds excellent, that way we can contribute with bits and pieces and with some good editing this can come out without needing one or two people to get in the great undertaking of making the whole book on their own.
That is exactly what I am talking about  :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:27:10 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
Well I did not intend for you to take it that way, I was not trying to say that they wanted just you to write the book. Just that they asked you first.
Yeah, it was just to make it clear that:
- they don't want me -- just someone who can write the book
- I don't offer anything to anyone, just forwarding the proposal

I should have wrote project manager in quotes like "project manager". I simply meant that someone needs to be in charge if we go with the multiple authors approach. Because if someone does not take a leadership position, there will be parts of a book flying all over the place.
If there are a lot of authors, yes, they'll definitely need a "manager". But the publisher will probably have a word to say about the management of the book contents, too.

Once again, I meant as with the community approach to writing the book, as it comes together everyone will be able to check each others' work for obvious spelling mistakes and/or grammar mistakes before it sent to a publisher (hopefully that will not take too long).
Sure, but since they do it anyway, we probably don't need to do that ourselves. Of course there will probably be readers here anyway, and of course they'll always be helpful :)

If we do it this way, we should be careful to keep the amount of contributors reasonable. The book's contents must be consistent, and writing musn't become a giant mess where everybody does a little something on its side :)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »
I ll have quite some free time in the next months, and i know SFML decently, my english is not too bad i'd say.. Just saying i'll gladly help write the book, if you need me!

Be it a few chapters or other contributions, I am open to it!

Cheers, I love the idea of the book!

Foaly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:11 pm »
Hello. First of all i want to say that a book would be great for sfml. I would make it way easier for beginners to start with game programming. I myself started game programming with a similar book (it was on allegro though :) )
Then I would like to add that I would love to contribute to the book, but for me it's like everybody else. I would only be able to write one or a few chapters, because I don't feel like I know a little detail about the library. For example I've worked a lot with the audio modul, but only a tiny bit with the network modul. English should not be a problem. So if the idea of writing the book as a community or with multiple authors (which I both really like) I would love to contribute.
Foaly

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:11 am »
So if someone now would decide to take the lead, what would that persons next action have to be?
Would you Laurent redirect the publisher to that person, or would that person have to contact the publisher, if so how would he do that? ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 12:14:40 am »
Let's wait a few more days, just in case someone would like to write the book alone.

If nobody wants to do it, I'll then contact the publisher and check with them whether a community book would be a good idea or not.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 01:01:32 am »
Just to clear things up, how advanced should the contents be? Is there a guideline for the contents already?

And aside the juice of the book, what kind of haste would the author have to be in? Tight deadlines? I lost my job recently and I'm growing more interested in the project, maybe its doable :)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 01:12:31 am »
Just to clear things up, how advanced should the contents be? Is there a guideline for the contents already?
This would be discussed once the author(s) and the publisher get to talk details about the book. ;)

And aside the juice of the book, what kind of haste would the author have to be in? Tight deadlines?
See one of the first posts with the links and information (6 month till first draft).

I lost my job recently and I'm growing more interested in the project, maybe its doable :)
Sorry to hear that...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:15:04 am by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:10:12 am »
Look I don't think that a community based book works. I was thinking something like the "top" sfml users collaborate. Otherwise it is just going to be chaotic. Though if they don't want several authors it would probably be nice for the selected author to have someone on the forum to get feedback from and ideas. So others could still indirectly be part of the book
Also we talked about it on IRC and Laurent you have to write the foreword,  history, some small part :-D

DevilWithin: I don't think it will be so advanced. Though you can probably assume that the reader can program in C++

Laurent: Hope you will have officially released sfml 2 by the time this book comes out xD
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:17:55 am by Groogy »
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 08:18:55 am »
Look I don't think that a community based book works. I was thinking something like the "top" sfml users collaborate. Otherwise it is just going to be chaotic.
That's what I think too.

Also we talked about it on IRC and Laurent you have to write the foreword,  history, some small part :-D
Already asked by the publisher, and agreed ;)

anything