Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A new logo for SFML  (Read 309400 times)

kloffy

• View Profile
Re: A new logo for SFML
« Reply #585 on: May 02, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »
I think it looks a little bit cramped now. I guess there's not much space in that green bar. You could try making the text smaller, but then it will probably be hard to read. Anyway, that's just nit-picking...

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #586 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:11 pm »
Now that you shifted "SFML" upwards, the color gradient is not aligned correctly anymore. The arc is interrupted :-\
Oops, I didn't even think about that. Good eye.

I think it looks a little bit cramped now. I guess there's not much space in that green bar. You could try making the text smaller, but then it will probably be hard to read. Anyway, that's just nit-picking...
I had the same thoughts. I didn't want to make "SFML" smaller, but I had to make the sub-text a readable size.

@Laurent (and everyone): I like the idea of the sub text, but I think I prefer the clean, uncramped look and feel the logo has without the sub text. Your thoughts? Does anyone have any creative ideas for adding the sub text that doesn't come across as cramped?

Also Laurent, would you happen to have a copy of the old logo (high resolution if possible)? I'd like a copy for historical purposes, and am also considering putting it on Wikipedia to show the evolution of logos (it'll be interesting to see what SFML 3's logo looks like).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #587 on: May 02, 2013, 11:14:30 pm »
Does anyone have any creative ideas for adding the sub text that doesn't come across as cramped?
One possibility to make it at least a little lighter would be to replace "and" with "&" and use lowercase letters, i.e.:
simple & fast multimedia library
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #588 on: May 02, 2013, 11:48:24 pm »
Does anyone have any creative ideas for adding the sub text that doesn't come across as cramped?
One possibility to make it at least a little lighter would be to replace "and" with "&" and use lowercase letters, i.e.:
simple & fast multimedia library
That does make it less wide, but I think vertical height is the main problem (and making the font any smaller makes it pretty hard to read).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #589 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:42 pm »
It would however make the text appearance a little bit more lightweight, so the space problem is less visible.

Otherwise, it seems like Laurent has to enlarge the green bar :D
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #590 on: May 03, 2013, 12:31:54 am »
It would however make the text appearance a little bit more lightweight, so the space problem is less visible.

Otherwise, it seems like Laurent has to enlarge the green bar :D

Here is an image with an increased green bar height. All it is was two simple CSS changes.

Play around with it and put the logo on this and see if it looks any better and not cramped. If you want I can provide an even larger green bar  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #591 on: May 03, 2013, 08:41:16 am »
@Laurent (and everyone): I like the idea of the sub text, but I think I prefer the clean, uncramped look and feel the logo has without the sub text. Your thoughts? Does anyone have any creative ideas for adding the sub text that doesn't come across as cramped?
If there's no way to make it look good, I can live without the subtext.

Also Laurent, would you happen to have a copy of the old logo (high resolution if possible)? I'd like a copy for historical purposes, and am also considering putting it on Wikipedia to show the evolution of logos (it'll be interesting to see what SFML 3's logo looks like).
Sure, I'll post it later.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #592 on: May 03, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »
Here is 530x320 PNG of the old logo. If it's not enough, I can send you the original PSD.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #593 on: May 03, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »
I've uploaded big, small and SVG versions of the logo on the website.

anything